Friday, July 28, 2017

Old Houses



Been vacationing in the LA area this week and as I've been driving back and forth between cities, my mind wandered to the family history filing cabinet in my brain.  My Roper family lived in Palo Alto, Long Beach and Los Angeles; my mom Marjorie lived in Downey before I was born.  I wondered if I could find the houses but couldn't remember the addresses.

My first test was to see if I could remember the location of my cousins' house from 30 years ago.  I told the GPS the address and sure enough, that was the house.  They live in a different house/area now but it was a bit rewarding to pull that dusty piece of information out of my half-a-century-old brain! 

So, that small victory in hand I pulled up my genealogy files to see if I could find addresses for the Roper homes.  Thanks to census records from the 1940 and earlier (1950's aren't available yet) I could pull up the addresses for 6 homes of the Roper family, including one for my Dad in Los Angeles and my mom (before she met my dad) in Downey. 

Thanks to the magic of technology, online realty sites and GPS, I plotted a route to see the 4 Roper homes in Long Beach; all along the waterfront. (I'm thankful my friend was up for a drive/walk before dinner!)

312 Roswell Avenue, Long Beach
312 ROSWELL Ave, Long Beach, CA 90814Photo taken from Redfin
House built in 1922
2 bed, 2 bath, 1319 sq. ft.
(lot size 4298 sq. ft.)
Belmont Heights / Alamitos Heights 
Home of James & Louise Roper 1930 and 1940 census listing
The photo above was taken December 2009; today the house looks like this








The next house on the route was
2739 Ocean Avenue (now East Ocean Blvd)
   No photo available but the link is https://binged.it/2v2tnJP
4 bed, 2 bath, 2,690 sq. ft.
(lot size .25 acres)
Built in 1919, renovated in 1921, 2 story
Home of Henry & Bessie Roper 1940 Long Beach Census,
Home of James & Ella 1930 Long Beach Census

How it looked in the 1920's

How it looks today


The basic structure of the house is unchanged except for the scalloping on the roofline.  The porta cache is still intact, the lions and steps are the same.  The scrollwork above the front windows are gone however there are squares of similar scrollwork in plaster above the windows.  I nearly walked up to the front door to show the owners their house from nearly 90 years ago…

The next house was listed in the 1920 Long Beach Census as
2119 Ocean Avenue (now 2119 E. Ocean Blvd)
1 bedroom, 1 bath apartment
No other information available
Home of James & Ella, Clyde & Leonard 1920 Long Beach Census

It appears to have been a home at one time that has been converted into 4 apartments; 2 upstairs and 2 down. 
Here's how it looks now


The two center doors (I believe) go to upstairs apartments (2119 and 2121); the two side doors to the downstairs apartments. 

The last home wasn't really a home but has been a hotel for most of its life. 

200 East Ocean Boulevard (Breakers Hotel of Long Beach)
176 unit, 14 story Hotel
Built in 1926
Home of Leonard Eugene in both 1930 and 1940 (listed as “Hilton) Long Beach Census.
Wikipedia lists development in 1925 by Fred B Dunn.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakers_Hotel_(Long_Beach,_California) 
It was "The Breakers" from 1926 - 1938; at this point it was purchased by Conrad Hilton.  It remained a Hilton hotel until 1947 when it became "The Wilton".  It has changed hands many times since then and been a hotel and a retirement/senior home; designated a historic landmark in 1989 it is set to once again become "The Breakers" and be a boutique hotel.
Not a great photo but here is the current property









From the waterfront (in 1920)










Today I drove to my mom's house in Downey and took a photo of how it looks today.  I'll have to look through old photos to see if I have a "before" photo but here it is today

9711 Wiley Burke, Downey




According to Trulia it was built in 1951 and is 1,293 sq. ft with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.  My mom was listed in the 1953 City Directory (not census) as living here under her first married name.  

No comments:

Post a Comment